The Garmin Instinct smartwatch fills the gap between complete nerd device and a full fledged adventure watch; and we feel right at home with it. There's countless numbers of smartwatches on the market today and the majority of them are priced above $500 which starts to eat into our ammo fund.
The Instinct comes in a few different flavors, but the standard version is priced right at $300. For that price, you get fairly well spec'd smartwatch with GPS, GLONASS, phone notifications, heart rate monitor and more. It allows you to track workouts, monitor your heart rate, and even view trail maps.
Interested in going full operator mode? For about $150 more you can upgrade to the tactical version which a plethora of additional features including:
- Solar recharging for those extended trips out in mother nature
- Night Vision screen compatibility
- Military standard 810 for thermal, shock and water resistance (rated to 100 meters)
- JumpMaster Mode to calculate HALO and HAHO release points
- Projected waypoints
- Dual-Format GPS
- Stealth mode (or we like to call it, Off the Grid mode)
Buy one: Amazon / $299+